Sunday, January 9, 2011

Free Tax - Preparation and Assistance for Low-income, Elderly, and The Military

     If you need some free tax help and you are low to moderated income, elderly, disabled, or you are limited in speaking the English language then there is help for you. VITA, the Acronym for volunteer income tax assistance, is an organization that can help you with free preparation of your income tax return.  As far as income limits are the IRS website states an income of $49,000.00 or less, however, VITA's website state that they helped over 3 million taxpayers with incomes less than $22,000.  These volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS.  To find a VITA volunteer in your area click here.
     Another program that offers free tax advice and basic preparation for the elderly focusing on those that are 60 and older is the TCE program.  This program is known as Tax Counseling for the Elderly.  This people are volunteers made up of mostly retired people associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants for this service.  Part of the sponsored program via the IRS, the AARP has several sites set up all over the nation to assist low to moderate income with tax preparation, but their focus is geared toward those 60 and older. To find free tax help and information about the AARP service call 1-888-227-7669 or visit their website.   For more information on TCE call 1-800-829-1040.
     For those in the military and your families there is free tax help available for you as well.  The military has their own division of VITA as well as the Armed Force Tax Council (AFTC).  This counsel handles the tax returns of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.  The military can receive free tax preparations within their respective installations.  These agencies know how to handle specific tax issues indigenous to the military.  Find more information about these services here.
     When receiving assistance for free tax preparation, advice, filing or any other service be sure to bring all form of documents with you as you would anytime that you are getting your return filed.  Also, make sure that you have your bank routing number available for electronic direct deposits.  If you know of any other source for free tax assistance, please feel free to drop a line in the comment box below.

P.S.  Learn How to Slash Your Taxes Now!
Enhanced by Zemanta


Related Posts with Thumbnails


Share your links easily.